Understanding the genetic tools available is critical when making decisions regarding your cowherd. The Midway Extension District wants all producers to be aware of the advantages of EPDs, selection indices, crossbreeding and genomic tests.
- EPD Basics and Definitions
- How To Get Started with DNA Testing
- Managing Genetic Defects
- Beef Cattle Economic Selection Indices
- Beef Sire Selection Recommendations
- DNA Sample Collection
Understanding and adhering to strict Livestock Selection practices is critical to the success of any operation. Selecting animals that excel in economically important traits like fertility, structural integrity, and longevity helps us as producers stay in business longer. Understanding how to look at an animal and analyze their strengths and weaknesses help’s us build a stronger operation. This section takes a deeper look into understanding important livestock selection criteria, and how to incorporate this knowledge into our own operations.
Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle is a great resource for the following tools:
- AI Cowculator
- Bovine Estrous Cycle
- Estrus Synchronization Planner
- Estrus Synchronization Protocols for HEIFERS and COWS (Chart)
- Detection of Standing Estrus in Cattle
- Protocols for Synchronization of Estrus and Ovulation
- Tips for a Successful Synchronization Program
- Use of Natural Service Sires with Synchronized Estrus
- 2019 Protocols for Synchronization of Estrus and Ovulation in Beef Cows and Heifers
- Analyses of Birthdate and Growth in Beef Heifers Categorized by Puberty and Pregnancy Status
- Are You Ready for Calving?
- Breeding Season: Stretch It Out, Then Cut It Short
- Comparison of Two Alternate Prostaglandin Products in Yearling Beef Heifers
- Cow-calf Producers Should Record Twins or Multi-births in Their Herds
- Synchronizing Natural Service